Brent L. Top
- Former Dean of Religious Education at BYU
- Best-Selling Author
- Written 80 gospel-related books
- Popular speaker at Education Week
- Bachelor’s degree in History
- Master’s degree in Instructional Media
- Ph.D in Instructional Science and Technology all from BYU
- Taught Seminary, Institute, and began teaching Religion at BYU in 1987
- Mission President of the Illinois Peoria Mission (2004 – 2007)
Brent LaMar Top (born 1953) is a professor of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young University (BYU). Top served as dean of religious education at BYU and the director of BYU’s Religious Studies Center from 2013 to 2018.
Top is a native of Idaho Falls. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in Denmark. He holds a bachelor’s degree in history, a master’s degree in instructional media and a Ph.D. in instructional science and technology, all from BYU.
Prior to joining the BYU faculty in 1987, Top was both a seminary and an institute instructor in the Church Educational System. He currently holds an endowed professorship in moral education at BYU.
Among other callings in the LDS Church, Top has served as a bishop, member of a stake presidency, and as president of the Pleasant Grove Utah East Stake. Top was president of the church’s Peoria Illinois Mission from 2004 to 2007.